Sunday, April 24, 2005

Final skunk-dog interaction report

Well, it's been two months and two days since our dog Bachelor got sprayed by a skunk. This happened at about 5 AM when Bachelor insisted that I take him outside. It was dark, and I didn't see the skunk--but Bachelor certainly did!

Those who read earlier posts on this subject may recall that over the course of a week or so my husband and I tried all sorts of remedies--from the traditional tomato juice bath to regular shampoo to special formulations I found on the web.

They all helped a bit, especially cumulatively. But the fact is that two months later Bachelor STILL is not completely free of skunk odor. Evidently, the skunk sprayed him most strongly in the face and in the ruff (sp?) of his neck--and that's where the smell remains. It's not terribly strong; you can only really detect it when you get down and hug Bachelor. Since this is something I do often--what else are dogs for?--I'm regularly reminded of his earlier encounter with a skunk.

May it be his first--and last--such encounter!

4 Comments:

At 6:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you considered cats?

Hope

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

I've not only considered cats; I have a cat. Her name is Bootes, and she is named for the Bootes constellation and for her four white boots. (My husband is a passionate amateur astronomer.)

Cats are too smart, of course, to attack a skunk--but Bootes has her own problems. Bootes is an outdoor cat. (I'm allergic to cats, but we couldn't resist adopting her when she appeared at our door, obviously starving.) She has a good life with us, but since she's an outside cat she gets in the woods and gets poison oak oil on her fur.

Greg's not susceptible to poison oak, so he can give her lots of affection. But while I can admire Bootes, she's a hands off cat for me!

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

The smell will go away; I've had way more experience w/ skunks than I'd like. But when they really getcha, it takes awhile. We had a chair that got skunk-sprayed (long story), and it took 6 months for the stink to disappear. The dog will be faster; he's a little more active than our chair was :)

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Wow! The story of the chair/skunk interaction must be something! I hope the chair didn't beg to go outside to pee at 5AM!

Thanks for the reassurance that all traces of Bachelor's encounter with the skunk will eventually leave us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home