Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Some thoughts on blogging, continued

I leave in about an hour to drive to the Portland airport--and then fly to my conference in San Francisco--but I couldn't head out of town without checking my blog, and boy am I glad that I did! Thanks to Kim, Hillary r, Alan C, Just rambling, Emily, Hope, Tavosmom, and Rosa G for a great conversation about blogging. This conversation alone seems to me to be a clear indication of how valuable blogging can be.

I look forward to checking out the reportsfromconsumers.com website when I get back (thanksk just-rambling!). I just speed read the article by Daniel Drezner and found it quite fascinating--and also helpful for my research. I'll also follow up on it when I get back.

In the meantime, thanks to all for such a stimulating conversation.

On a more personal note, last Sunday my husband I planted two forsythias in my mother's memory. I grew up in Ohio, and my mother lived there just about all of her life. Since she had twelve children, mom didn't have a lot of time to pay attention to flowers and nature--but every spring she would exclaim over the forsythias when they bloomed. (They're the first sign of spring after a long and dreary Ohio winter.)

It will take a long time for me to deal with my mother's death. Friends who have lost parents tell me that in an important way you never get over this loss. But planting the forsythias helped. After we planted them Greg read the Mary Oliver poem "In Blackwater Woods." It's a very beautiful poem about nature, life, and death. I would love to be able to paste it into this post, but the university web software doesn't have an edit (copy and paste) function.

Don't get me started on that.

If you're not familiar with the poem, you can read it simply by googling "In Blackwater Woods" Mary Oliver. Several different versions will appear.

Hmmm. I wonder what it is about blogging that somehow makes it feel natural to go from a somewhat academic discussion of blogging to a personal comment about a parent's death.

Take care, everyone.

5 Comments:

At 7:01 AM, Blogger senioritis said...

Lisa, just this week my partner put up a cuckoo clock that my sister gave me ten years ago. The cuckoo-clock-gift has a complex family history, but at the time I received it, my life was in turmoil and it wound up being forgotten on a high shelf in a storage room.
My sister died three years ago.
And now, ticking away in my home, is a new present from her. That cuckoo clock is connecting me back to her in a wonderful way. I'll never get over her death, but I'll treasure the commemorations of her life that occur in events such as mounting the cuckoo clock. Or in your case, planting the forsythia bushes. These things matter, and they help.
Enjoy Cs (which I have to miss this year).
Becky Howard

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Vicki TB said...

Lisa, I love the idea of you and Greg planting forsythia as you remember your mother. Ever since my mother died last year, when I work in the garden, I feel close to her. She used to say gardening was her therapy. I think it is becoming mine as well.

Becky, your experience with the clock is such a gift. I find myself touched again and again as I come across something my mother gave me over the years. I am using some of her dishcloths, ones so old I remember them from my childhood, and their faded patterns touch my heart.

I'm not able to go to 4C's this year, either, because of a crazy injury that left me with three fractured ribs. At least, Lisa, I am finally catching up on my blogging. My blog, writingcommons.blogspot.com, at the moment is focused on my grammar class that has just ended and on the team blogs for the class. Lisa, I am eager to share the class assessments of the blogging with you when you get back.

Enjoy C's! And thanks for reading my paper for me tomorrow.
Vicki Tolar Burton

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good time to be away from blogging, Lisa, as Blogger has been awful lately! Grrrrr. I am amazed I got in her just now.

Touching stories of lost loved ones.

Do you, know, Senioritis the lines about cuckoo clokcs that Orson Welles added to the classic film, The Third Man?

Hope

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Gosh! It's really moving to check my blog and find these wonderful and supportive comments. Thanks so much. Becky and Vicki, your comments help me remember that, as a friend put it recently, "memory defeats death." We do still have those we love with us in very important ways.

Vicki, I can't wait to hear about your class blog--and your paper and panel at the Cs were terrific.

Hope, I'm sorry to hear that Blogger has been out of sorts. It looks fine now.

Again, thanks so much for these responses.

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger has been a major headache for two weeks or so. Auuuuugh!

Hope

 

Post a Comment

<< Home