Monday, May 30, 2005

Lisa's excellent adventure--or, why I've been away from my blog

Hi there,
It's been a while since I've written in my blog. First I was getting caught up from my trip to Ohio to visit my father. I came back with a bad cold that knocked me out; fortunately, I didn't give it to dad, which is the important thing.

But my excellent adventure was something else: an emergency appendectomy that took place just two weeks ago. I am now an expert on appendicitis symptoms, so I'm going to mention them quickly here. I want to do so because it's REALLY important to have surgery for appendicitis before your appendix bursts or ruptures. If you catch it in time, all you're in for is laproscopic surgery which takes a week or two to recover from. If you don't, and your appendix bursts, you could be in for two to three weeks in the hospital (and lots of pain and antibiotics).

I was really, really lucky; my appendicitis was caught it time.

I've now learned more about appendicitis and know that my symptoms were quite typical. They began with pain in my lower abdomin--central to left. I had a very slight fever, but that was it. Eventually, the pain shifted to the right side of my body, to a place called McIerney's point, which is where most people with appendicitis feel pain. Then I developed a higher fever, started throwing up, etc.

It wasn't fun, but I was grateful for the excellent care I got at Corvallis's Good Samaritan Hospital. Friends, especially Hope, were also wonderfully generous and supportive. This weekend I went swimming for the first time since the surgery, and I also took my longest walk yet, so I think I can declare myself fully recovered.

Remember: if you experience any symptoms that could be appendicitis, get yourself to your doctor, immediate care clinic, or emergency room.

4 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is typical of you to spend time while convalescing ensuring that other people look after themselves.

Hope

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

You're too kind, Hope--but thanks!

 
At 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nonsense. I strive for accuracy. You're welcome.

 
At 3:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can report that she looked as fit as a fiddle a few days after the operation and resumed working way too hard.

Hope

 

Post a Comment

<< Home