Monday, January 17, 2005

The Writing Way and ORBlogs

I just visited ORBlogs, the public site hosted by Paul Bausch, and was thrilled to see my blog listed in its directory. As early readers of this blog know, I began it with a good deal of trepidation--and maybe also a bit of skepticism. After all, I write all the time, and to multiple audiences. Why do I need a blog?

But since I'm studying blogs and other online forms of communication as a scholarly project, I realized that I should at least try hosting my own blog. So far, I've found that the more engaged I am with it--and the more comments my blog gets--the more interested I am. One sign of this is my desire to personalize my blogs more. Blogger is a wonderful software tool, and I never would have created a blog if it hadn't been as easy as it is, but now I'm hoping I can add some distinguishing features.

For an example of a blog that does that, take a look at culturecat.net. This is a blog by Clancy Ratliff, a Ph.D. student in the Department of Rhetoric at the University of Minnesota. Clancy is one of the co-editors of the blog-published Into the Blogosphere collection that I've mentioned before. I think her site looks very interesting--but then it's clearly addressed primarily to academics. Which is what (for better or worse) I am.

I wonder what others think of Clancy's site......

7 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I have been there just now. I found her CV interesting. Was particularly struck by the fact that there is not a single man on her committee even though gender is her focus. That what is wrong with this picture department:

Gender, Punditry, and Weblogs: A Feminist Rhetorical Analysis of Blogging’s Challenge to Current Understandings of Political Discourse. (Committee: Mary Lay Schuster, Laura Gurak, Lee-Ann Kastman Breuch, Jacquelyn Zita)

And I rather doubt that any of those women is a Republican.

Hope

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Thanks for your comments, Hope and Barbara.

I hadn't looked at Clancy's vita, Hope. Thanks for sharing her dissertation title. I'd wondered what it was.

Re Clancy's website: I like how rich it is--how much information is there--but there's so much there that I find it a bit difficult to navigate. I didn't even see where her vita is posted, though perhaps I just didn't look long or carefully enough.

As for you, dear and wonderful Barbara, I'm all with you about the excitement of this endeavor--and feeling like I'm just taking babysteps.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Editor at Large said...

Hi Lisa! Rick Cooper here (Jules Cooper's husband). Love your blog. I found it after reading the article in today's G-T about Paul Bausch. (I had suggested to the G-T months ago that they do an article on Corvallis bloggers, and they finally did!)

I've bookmarked your blog so I can check back in periodically. Don't know how you find time to maintain it, but glad you do!

By the way, Jules and I have our own blogs, too--mine's at http://editor-at-large.blogspot.com/ and Jules' is at http://yogaloft.blogspot.com/

Take care!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger ...just-rambling... said...

Lisa,

I'm a shmuck for not visiting in a while, but I'm dropping in to say hello and see what's new.

What exactly are you looking for as you study blogs?

 
At 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, all. My mom told me about the article about Paul Bausch. She was so impressed that I had read it after reading about it on Paul’s blog and clicking on the link there to it. He makes a good though sobering point that you have to watch what you say, as all is archived--scary thought.

Hi, Ramblin’! Lisa will be back bulging (spellcheckers) blogging in a few days. Are you aware of the literal meaning of the Yiddish word you have used to refer to yourself?

Lisa: What is your response to Ramblin’s question?

Hope

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Hey Rick (Editor at Large), I'm not sure of blog etiquette. (Should I be commenting on your Editor at Large site rather than here?) But I just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog, and I've enjoyed looking at your and Jules' blogs.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Etiquette note: Lisa, I think you respond to wherever the comment actually is (in this case here at your blog) and then make a courtesy visit to the blog of the person who commented at your blog and leave a note about what he has posted at his blog at his blog. There is no Emily Post of the Blogosphere yet, though.

Got all that?

Hope

 

Post a Comment

<< Home