Sunday, February 06, 2005

Just What Am I Looking For as I Study Blogs?

Hi again,
This is a question that just-ramblin asked in response to an earlier posting. It's a good question.

It's tempting to wimp out and say that I don't know since blogs are such a new phenomenon--but that would be wimping out. So I'll try to share a few thoughts without lapsing into scholarly jargon.

First I should note, though, that when I began my research project (which is supported by Oregon State University's Humanities Center) my focus wasn't on bloggers but rather on what I'm calling citizen reviewers, such as the foks who write reviews on Amazon.com or Blogcritics.org. I got interested in citizen reviewers because of the challenge they represent to traditional forms of expertise and authorship that have informed the publishing/literary world for several centuries.

Here's what I mean. (What follows is a gross overgeneralization.) During the Middle Ages and Renaissance authors were supported primarily through the church and the patronage system, where aristocrats would commission literary works from writers. The reading public was quite limited, so the question of who was an author (much less a good author) was determined by a small elite of clergy and aristocrats.

With the rise of the middle class and the collapse of the patronage system, the whole system for deciding who was an author and evaluating that author's work collapsed. Lots more people were claiming authorship, and the reading public expanded significantly. This was when the system of book reviewing was developed--and it developed with great speed and intensity. (The development of the printing press played a key role in these changes, just as the development of the web is fueling the blogosphere.)

Suddenly aristocratic elites no longer determined who deserved to be called a real author (versus a hack writer). Instead, cultural elites--writers publishing reviews in well known journals--were.

This system has existed from the 18th century or so until the present time. As journalism developed, similar kinds of expertise also developed--hence the prestige of The New York Times versus that of my local paper, the Corvallis Gazette-Times.

Bloggers and citizen reviewers represent a significant challenge to these forms of authority and expertise. That's why I'm interested in them.

Do these new forms of communication represent a utopian or near-utopian alternative to traditional forms of media and communication control?

Or are they if not dystopian then problematic in one or another way? What about the standards (aesthetic and journalistic) that have been part of the traditional literary scene and media? What are we to make of all the bad writing that appears in blogs? How should we (or should we?) evaluate blogs and citizen reviews?

Why do people write blogs and citizen reviews, especially when their readership is limited?

How do people writing blogs and citizen reviews establish their credibility? (This is key to traditional forms of communication.)

But enuf said. Ask a professor a question, and I'm afraid you're likely to get a very long answer.......

10 Comments:

At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Credibility? Standards? Oh, like CBS (forgery), The New York Times, USA Today (fabrications), Doris Kearns Goodwin (plagiarism) and Michael Bellesiles (forced to resign from his position as a historian at Emory University in 2002 because his data on gun ownership in American was garbage). And Joseph Ellis who told outright lies to his students about this nonexistent combat experience and who is still widely published on the Revolutionary War era. And then there are sources that are never identified (The Washington Post just loves those.) And it is bloggers who have to establish credibility?

Bloggers write in spite of limited readerships because we hope to have huge ones someday.

Hope

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

You make an excellent point, Hope. And it's bloggers who are doing a good job of exposing the kinds of problems with traditional media that you describe here.

 
At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The right-wing bloggers called it the MSM--mainstream media.

Hope

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lisa. Just Rambling has an interesting post today about blog etiquette:

http://just-rambling.blogspot.com/

Hope

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. His data were garbage.

Hope

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Beth Camp said...

Hello, Lisa. Just a quick comment to respond to your question: why do you blogg. I was surprised by people who said they blogg to be kind of notorious or to make money. I blog because at first I wanted to share impressions of an 8-month sabbatical traveling to 7 countries, with family and friends, and really whoever might be interested. When I returned home, though, I found I still wanted to blog as a way to ask questions or talk about ideas that I didn't normally have time to explore.

The blog gives me a sense of anonymousness and visibility at the same time, although I feel sometimes the postings are one-way. I like the way people do comment in response to your blogs. I definitely do not feel like part of an elite, although because of our very easy access to technology, we may be part of an emerging elite, those who have access to computers.

It's very nice to see you online in a slightly different way. Warm hellos from Beth (LBCC)

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Hi Beth,
How nice to see your comment in my blog! And I'm glad to see that you're still blogging. I had great fun consulting your blog while you're traveling.

My growing sense is that like many forms of communication blogs will serve multiple functions. Some bloggers probably will become famous--well, not probably; some have. And some may transition into earning money. But for many persons blogs are replacing personal diaries, letters to friends, and even emails.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth: I am hoping to make money. Much, much money. Self-expression is not remunerative.

As computers get cheaper, the elite aspect of blogging disappears.

Interesting point, Lisa, that blogging for some people is replacing email. This is true. I neglect email so that I can blog. If I don’t make money blogging, I shall return to emailing friends and family.

Hope

 
At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Lisa, Here is another example of how people respond to blog comments. I just visited Just Rambling’s blog:

http://just-rambling.blogspot.com/

and she refers to your response above to a question that she had posted to you on your blog here. I am forwarding her response on her blog to your comments here on this blog. Everybody got that?

Hope

Rambling’s comments are as follow:

http://just-rambling.blogspot.com/2005/02/comments-on-hopes-post.html#comments

I paid her a visit, and saw that she responded to my comment from a couple of weeks ago by writing a post answering my question. I guess that would be another good way to respond to comments.

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

You make a good point here, Hope. The question of whether to post a comment in response to a post, where it may get lost but is directly linked to the original post, or to respond via a new post is an interesting one.

I'm struggling with that right now, actually. You responded to my posting of the article about Professor Gronas's Amazon.com research by saying you didn't quite get it. Should I respond to your comment or make a new posting in the hope that others will see and be interested in it?

I'm leaning toward the latter, if only so I can have a new post on my blog............ :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home