Friday, February 18, 2005

The history of authorship and blogging

Hi there,
I was going to try to clarify Professor Gronas's project on Amazon.com customer reviewers (since Hope asked about that), but I discovered that I left my copy of his talk at my office--so that will be another post. For now I want to share something that I just learned that seems relevant to blogging.

A friend and former student, Kim Sharp, shared an essay that she wrote on 17th century coterie poets (such as John Donne, author of "Death be not proud, though some have called thee Mighty"). Kim got an MFA at Oregon State, where I teach, and she developed an interest in the coterie poets' collaborative practices when she took a class on 17th century literature.

The coterie poets were writing in a time of transition. The printing press had been developed, so publishing their work in print form was possible, but many preferred to circulate manuscripts within a small circle of friends. According to Kim, Donne was particularly notable for his refusal to publish/print his poems. (As a Ph.D student I focused primarily on 19th and 20th century authors, so I'll have to take Kim's word for it.)

As Kim points out, "coetrie authors intended for their work to be read by a very specific, select group." While bloggers are happy if they have a large readership, many are content with a similarly limited group of readers, especially readers who are at least partly known to them via their comments. According to a scholar who Kim cites, the coterie poets felt as though they belonged to "a social as well as intellectual elite."

The coterie poets were also intensely collaborative. They not only circulated manuscripts but often reshaped the work itself to accord with their own interests and tastes. Kim says that "This act, it seems, was not done as a means to `correct' the original author's work, but to more fully engage in the process, to continue a thought, to bring that sense of community to the writing." This reminds me of the intensely collaborative nature of much blogging, where readers' comments are as central to the blog as the "author's" comments. In fact, the author/reader distinction is challenged by both the coterie poets and by contemporary bloggers.

Kim has a very interesting discussion of the critical reception of Donne's work. I have always thought of him as a great canonical author, but according to Kim some critics have attempted to devalue his work as "occasional writing." This is because he doesn't fit the contemporary model of the author, who claims originality and sole propriety over his or her work.

One implication of Kim's study are potential connections between manuscript cultures and internet/blogging cultures. I don't know enough to say anything much more specific beyond the statement that authors writing before printing was established as the privileged medium for circulating writing and before intellectual property and copyright have pre-modern notions of authorship, notions that emphasize collaboration and the circulation of texts among like-minded friends and colleagues.

I'm going to follow up with some of the sources Kim cited in her study, and if I learn more of interest I'll pass it on. In the meantime, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Kim Sharp again for sharing her interesting and informative study with me. (Kim, if you read this blog entry and have any corrections to make or comments to add, please chime in!)

5 Comments:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger iBeth said...

How interesting! Thanks for sharing. I've been wondering how blogging might relate to 19th century U.S. domestic writing/reading circles, but apparently there's an even longer and more noble history.

 
At 7:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, all. There are, of course, other examples throughout literary history of communities of writers. Beth--I would think that Louisa May Alcott would have loved blogging (except that she would have needed to have found a way to make it pay, as she needed the money), whereas Hawthorne would have groused about it, sneeringly dubbing it a venue fit only for the damned mob of scribbling women.

Emerson, Melville and Thoreau formed a sort of coterie as did the Greenwich Village crowd c. 1914 and the Bloomsbury set and the New York poets of c. 1958 and the whole Stein-Hemingway-Joyce-Fitzgerald crowd, the Beats of the 1950s and so on. And the Partisan Review and New Yorker circles of the 1930-1950 era and the various Russian sets of the 19th and 20th centuries. But you all know all about all that. The there is the issue of the key person who pushed to get work published, as in the case of Kafka, Dickinson and Hopkins.

I was under the impression that it was T.S. Eliot who galvanized interest in Donne in the 20th century. And Eliot’s relationship with Pound is one of the classic cases of influence and collaboration in literary production. Shakespeare, of course, collaborated with huge numbers of theater people, as he worked to make his stuff marketable.

I don’t want necessarily want to belong to a part of a social elite. I want to make lots and lots of money via my blog. So far, that hasn’t happened. Kim makes a good point that we are published authors, we bloggers. Therefore, I suppose I should copyright my stuff. But that would be a bother and keeping up on the blogs of people who visit mine takes up huge amounts of time.

Hope

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

Wow! What wonderful comments. Thanks!

Beth, thanks for reminding me about 19th c. domestic writing/reading circles, which I know little about. So if you have any information or references to send my way, please do.

Hope, your comments nicely add to Beth's. You're right that collaboration has played a key role in many literary collaborations--though typically these are not much discussed in traditional literary history/criticism. Fortunately, that has changed in recent years.

What I wonder about blogging vis-a-vis these collaborations is the ability for people who literally may not know each other to form a kind of community. This has definitely happened on Hope's Humor Hangout Blog.

As Kim and Hope both point out, blogging--and also online reviews like those on Amazon.com--do represent new opportunities for "publishing" one's thoughts and writing in a more public way.

Kim, I'm so glad that I didn't misrepresent your wonderful essay. But I have a question for you. In your second paragraph you write that "the coterie process was not something that was participated in by writers of Donne or Jonson's caliber." Did you mean to write that it was "not only" participated in my writers of Donne or Johnson's caliber?

 
At 2:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, all. Here are some audio links about blogging:

http://www.onthemedia.org/

Stories there about how right-wing bloggers basically forced a top CNN executive to step down after he bad-mouthed the American military, apparently.

Well, it is thanks to scholars like Lisa and her colleague Andrea Lunsford that collaborative writing is getting its due.

It is interesting how blogging creates a sort of virtual community. Many of the visitors to my blog have dubbed themselves my friends and refer to other people who visit my blog as my friends and many of them visit each other’s blogs. So one becomes a conduit. All I want to do is make money! Ah, me! I am making friends instead and with people I may never meet. Not my intention.

Yes, we are published authors. With the flick of a button. And as Paul Bausch says, that can be a dangerous thing if one has written something stupid or indiscreet.

Beth: Well, Pound basically rewrote much of The Waste Land. Perkins lopped off huge chunks of Thomas Wolfe's stuff and then there are playwrights such as Kaufman and Hart.

Alec Guinness entitled a volume of memoirs “My Name Escapes Me.” I wonder who it was who was evicted from the Bloomsbury set. Might it have been less for literary reasons than of class?

I don’t think copyrighting establishes one as elitist. It is merely a smart business move. Is here something wrong with being an elitist? I want to be one in terms of wealth.

Hope

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Lisa Ede said...

This continues to be a very rich discussion.

Kim, thanks for your emphasis on the intensely collaborative nature of coterie poet circles. The kind of rewriting of one another's work definitely challenges current notions of authorship and intellectual property. Interestingly, it's not hard to find examples of contemporary authors who have engaged in similar practices. Author/editor collaborations are one example. In these cases, literary critics and the general public often "forget" or "ignore" the editor's contributions because they contradict the assumption that authors are by definition individual geniuses.

Here's a quote from the novelist John Gardner: "If I have any doubts about what a character would say or what a room would look like, I ask my wife. Perhaps I should have used "John and Joan Gardner" all along; I may do this in the future. But in modern times such work is regarded as not really art. The notional that art is an individual and unique vision is a very unmedieval and unclassical view. (Gardner was also a medievalist.) In the Middle ages it was very common to have several people work on one thing: the thirteenth century Vulgate cycle of Arthurian romances had hundreds of writers. I feel comfortable with this approach, but I haven't felt comfortable telling people it's what I do."

Just FYI this appears on pages 128 and 129 of Andrea Lunsford's and my _Singular Texts/Plural Authors: Perspectives on Collaborative Writing_.

Hope, I'm quite impressed with your knowledge of literary history. There's another 19th c woman writer who also would have loved blogging--Margaret Fuller. Her writing was criticized at the time for being too associative and conversational, but that's just right for blogging.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home